Developing Open Practice workshops
We have developed this free workshop to support groups and organisations that are interested in thinking about the use of OER in their own context. Typically we will have engaged in some prior discussion. The workshop uses design thinking to support a close and structured look at the learner journey. The workshop has five sections:
- Introduction to Design Thinking
- Introducing some approaches to Learning Design
- Understanding Your Learner
- Designing a Learning Journey
- Building a Learning Journey
The workshop has been used successfully in a range of different contexts with a variety of staff and with different numbers. We’ve found that any number between 2 and 10 works well. What is important is that those involved have insights into the context, background and needs of the intended learners.
Outcomes for those attending
Possible outcomes from the workshop include:
- A decision that ‘open education’ is not an appropriate option for your organisation at this point in time.
- Ideas that could lead after further work to the design of context specific practice that supports the use of curated OER (OER that are already available).
- Ideas that could lead after further work to the design of context specific practice and the creation and/or reversioning of OER.
In either 2 or 3 the OEPS team may be able to support these developments with further workshops as appropriate.
The workshop packs are available for reuse and licensed for revising, remixing and redistributing. Please share back how you’ve used it.