The research team are producing outputs that contribute toward the following five of the overall project deliverables:
- Mapping current practice of OEP and related work in Scotland;
- Awareness raising of Open education;
- Developing the concept of OEP in the Scottish context;
- Developing an evidence base of effective practice;
- Evaluating economic models of open practice.
Our research is structured into four work packages, as follows:
The research team are available to facilitate a range of workshops. In addition to showcasing workshop activities at various OEPS Forums, we have carried out a series of of Thinking about Open workshops at organisations and institutions across Scotland:
- 23 September 2016 : College Development Network (CDN), Stirling
- 22 September 2016: University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI), Inverness
- 27 May 2016: Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU), Glasgow
- 22 January 2016: The University of Glasgow, Glasgow
- 30 October 2015: University of the West of Scotland (UWS), Paisley
- 27 October 2015: University of Dundee
- 30 April 2015: Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh
We also have a range of openly licensed workshop assets either currently available or forthcoming:
- Slide decks of all workshop sessions can be found on Slideshare
- Video of Martin Weller’s keynote The Battle for Open (recorded at Heriot-Watt University Thinking about Open workshop)
- Reusable Thinking about Open workshop kit (forthcoming October 2016)
Becoming an Open Educator course
The badged, open course Becoming an Open Educator was formerly launched on OpenLearn Works on 1 September 2016. It was community reviewed and you can find out more about its development in the post OUT NOW!.. The course:
…is aimed at anyone who is curious about how free and open might change our approach to teaching and learning and has been designed for administrators, educators and facilitators in all sectors. [REF]
Research and Case Studies
OEPS research on OEP and OER use in Scotland comprises of case studies, surveys and a report contextualising Scottish OEP internationally.
Awareness of OEP and OER: Surveys
As at October 2016 we have surveyed educators at both the higher education (HE) and further education (FE) institutions across Scotland.
In October-November 2015 we surveyed staff at 19 HE institutions. You can find a summary of findings, openly licensed infographic, report and more on the anonymised dataset in Awareness of OER and OEP in Scottish HE Institutions: Survey Results. We surveyed staff at 16 FE colleges during March 2016. A report, dataset and infographic is due for publication w/c 10 October 2016. In the meantime you can review our presentation at OER16 Awareness of OER and OEP in Scotland…
A further survey of the HE sector is planned for autumn 2016.
Current OEP: Case Studies
Throughout the duration of the project we are producing case studies and best practice advice to capture the diversity of Scottish open educational practice. In addition to desk research, we conduct interviews with individuals to discuss their own open practices, institutional and organisational initiatives and/or open education projects.
Contextualising Scottish OEP: Report
Forthcoming February 2017.
Working collaboratively with the Hewlett funded OER World Map project we are currently contributing examples of Scottish projects, initiatives and best practice case studies generated from our research. Data generated from workshop activity at the October 2014 OEPS Advisory Forum has also helped inform this process.
This page was last updated on 5 October 2016