The highlight of #oepsforum2 on Thursday 19th March 2015 was the presentation by Laura Czerniewicz on “An international perspective on opening educational practices“. Laura is the founder and Director of Centre for Innovation in Learning and Teaching (CILT) at the University of Cape Town and has worked in the field of educational technology at the University of Cape Town for over a decade. Laura’s slides can be found at http://www.slideshare.net/laura_Cz/oep-scotland-19-march
After Laura had made her presentation there were lively discussions at each table. We are pulling together some of the notes from the discussions and aim to publish them shortly – if you were in one of the groups and would like to add a personal reflection please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments or the link to your storify, comment on this blog post or use #OEPSforum2 on twitter.
The groups identified specific questions for Laura, which we sent to her during the session:
- Can you explain the perceived relationship between piracy and open educational practice?
- Is there government and strong institutional policies around open educational practice in South Africa?
- Recognising open education for a university – do universities recognise OER in their accreditation – are they looking at this in SA?
- OER would be useful if it filled a gap – give us a flavour of that conversation and who was involved?
- Contested landscape – your South African view – is this different from our view in the Global North?
- What is in it for the academics – they are focused on research and grants?
- How can we get people to feel participation is relevant – recognition as accreditation?
- Could you say more about policy context / enablers / drivers in South Africa context?
- How did you get senior management buy-in at UCT?
Laura rejoined us (via Skype) with her responses to some of these questions. If you have notes on Laura’s replies and/or personal reflections on her responses it would be great if you could share them.
If you are on twitter you can see some of the responses to Laura at #oepsforum2